I told myself to write as frequently as possible. However, my life isn't so interesting at times. At least, i don't think it interests too many people. Therefore, I asked my friends to pitch in some ideas for my next post. Sophie suggested I write about the meaning and the purpose of life. Coincidentally, while i was supervising the final exams today, I came across a bookmark that one of my students put on his desk. The bookmark was small, bright green, and had some bolded chinese words. It caught my attention ( I am a magnet to anything brightly colored). I read it and it was a scripture from the bible. (I forgot where it is found, but i will elaborate about it in item no.4)
After I put the bookmark down, I thanked myself for taking the bookmark up and reading it. It has somehow renewed my perspective on the purpose of my life here on Earth. Before you start yawning and move on to the next site, please take a second to think about your own life and why you think you are here in this world. It's soul searching time, baby!
Okay, I know for a fact that my religion and the gospel of Jesus Christ has a great influence in my life. It is also where I turn to for answers about the mysteries of life and also my purpose to be here on Earth at this time. Here's what I know:
1. I am a daughter of God. We, the people on earth, are all children of God, created in His image and are loved by Him.
2. We are here because God loves us and wanted us to experience life--gaining a mortal body so we can do things that give us joy and happiness in life. (What is joy? It is not just what makes you laugh. It's something that make you content, like being loved. )
3. The purpose of me, Sharon Ting, being here on earth at this time is to be tested. What I mean by that? I believe everyone's life has its trials and challenges because we are being tested to see how obedient we are to God's commandments. I believe that God will not test us or give us challenges and trials that are too great for us to take. He will test us according to our strength. I also strongly believe that our weaknesses in life are to help us be humble and teachable. God wants us to be happy because that is one of His purposes of putting us here.
4. I agree with the scripture on my student's bookmark that our purpose in this life is also to preach the good news (Gospel) to the whole world. I love the gospel with all my heart and I know it brings joy and peace to my life. I want to share it with you because I love you. That's what families do, we share good stuff with each other, and you, are a part of my Heavenly Father's family.
5. Lastly, I know that everything happens for a reason. Bad things happen for a reason. I don't believe in karma (even though I use the words sometimes). I don't believe the conditions and circumstances that we are in right now are because of how many good things or bad things we did in previous life. I believe that people have the freedom to choose to rise about whatever circumstances they are in because God answers prayers. God listens and God knows. A lot of us might sometimes say, "Why doesn't God grant me the wishes I have been wishing for for years?" There are many answers to that. But i'll just say one. GOD IS GOD, NOT A GENIE. Genie is a slave (if you watch Aladdin) and God is our MASTER. We are his servant. Make sure you know the difference. God knows what is best for you even better than you do. There must be reasons why. So don't give up praying.
To conclude this sober post, I would like to say that this is my belief. If you don't agree, it's okay. I am happy that you have your own stand and own perspectives about life. I respect you just like you respect me and give your time to reading my post. Please know that I do realize religion is a sensitive topic and some people cringe to even think about discussing religious issues, but I am not being insensitive here. I am just voicing my opinion.
Mahalo ( Thank you in Hawaiian)
ALOHA! (Hello, Goodbye and I love you).